The Nondating Life

Friday, November 18, 2005

Date Baiters Get Sued

I never did like Match.com. Although I hear that with new ownership, Spring Streets/Nerve is acting a little shady lately. From Reuters.

Match.com, a unit of IAC/Interactive Corp. is accused in a federal lawsuit of goading members into renewing their subscriptions through bogus romantic e-mails sent out by company employees. In some instances, the suit contends, people on the Match payroll even went on sham dates with subscribers as a marketing ploy.


Match isn't the only shady dater on the block. And no, I'm not talking about that guy who keeps sending you the weird text messages.

In a separate suit, Yahoo Inc.'s personals service is accused of posting profiles of fictitious potential dating partners on its Web site to make it look as though many more singles subscribe to the service than actually do.


One thing that stands out in the story.

U.S. consumers spent $245.2 million on online personals and dating services in the first half of 2005, up 7.6 percent from a year earlier, according to the Online Publishers Association.


Hey, you CAN put a price tag on desperation.

3 Comments:

  • You mean I could have been on Match's payroll while going on all these failed dates?? Dangit!

    By Blogger The First Date Chick, at 1:45 PM  

  • hey, hey, hey, Jennifer...I've met some great people online that I'd never have met any other way, and some of them have been keepers. Not for me, admittedly, but for someone. And I met my current boyfriend on nerve.com. There are plenty of benefits to online dating. For starters, you can weed out the obvious creeps upfront.

    It sure beats the bar scene or blind dates.

    By Blogger Trouble, at 2:32 PM  

  • I met my wife on nerve.com. Co-ed social circles become incestuous. Who wants to settle with the person all your friends hooked up with. Its a way to branch out without subjecting yourself to barroom pick-ups. Anyways, get over the stigma already.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home