The Nondating Life

Friday, December 16, 2005

Hooked ... and released

Received an email this morning from a casting director at ABC. Attached to the email was an application for ABC reality show "Hooking Up." I'm assuming she stumbled across this humble blog somehow.

At any rate, GF and I, who met on Nerve, were big fans of the show so I immediately called her to tell her. In the excitement, or because she's develope the fine art of not listening to the words coming out of my mouth, she started using the words "we" and "us" a great deal, as in "so what do we do" and "do we send photos of us?" Of course, the whole premise of the show is to follow SINGLE people in the online dating world. Just as no one wants to read a blog about the doings of a moderately successful relationship, no one wants to watch a reality show of a couple that met online but now acts like everyone else. Besides, the email was sent to me, Ken Wheaton... not "The Couple Containing the Man Formerly Known as Ken Wheaton" ... or as a couple of friends started to call me the other night, Cohabitating Kenny (which I'll blog about at a later date).

But the cool thing about GF is this: she kinda wanted me to sign up anyway. Just to see what happens. That's right fellas. Be jealous. My GF was not only going to let me date, she was going to let me date on TV. (I think she, you and I all know, though, that I would only have made right royal fool of myself--especially considering the social anxiety that would probably have me either vomiting on a date's shoes or getting so drunk as to embarrass my family for generations to come). But she figured it would be "dishonest." Besides which, since ABC's NEWS department is in charge of this, there's probably no pay involved for making a fool of yourself on national TV.

Still, we'll be watching next summer as some guy sits across a plate of sushi while some Guidette from Staten Island, with high hair and acrylic nails, goes on and on about her purpose in life. And I'll be thinking, There But for the Grace of a Fine Relationship Go I.

By the way, if you ARE currently online dating are thinking about it and want the application, email me. I'll forward along.

In other news, I received an email from new blog How I Told Them. They're looking for stories about how people have come out of the closet. While I don't have any such story of my own, you might, so send them along. Looks to be a promising blog.

2 Comments:

  • Dude, I met the casting directors myself, and would have immediately thought of "Snaps" Wheaton as a perfect person for this. But I knew you were off the market. So I spared you. Looks like you're on the radar for the show even without me...interesting.

    By Blogger Esther Kustanowitz, at 11:52 PM  

  • Please blog more. I really enjoy reading your posts. Don't make us think you've become whipped just because you have a girlfriend (and a cool one at that).

    By Blogger Mom of 3, at 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home